Sunday, November 28, 2010

Chapter 16: The North Pacific Coast

Finally we have reached the North Pacific Coast where Seattle is part of. Although my experience living in Seattle wasn't as great as I would of liked, it is a wonderful city to visit and explore.

Seattle and the North Pacific Coast:



  • The North Pacific Coast is known for its wet climate. Cool summers, mild and wet winters.
  •  Receiving from 75 inches of rain in Northern Washington to 230 inches on the Vancouver Islands.
  • It is surrounded by rugged terrains
  • Seattle itself receives about 37 inches of rain, which isn't a lot compared to New York and a few other states. What gives people the idea that it's a rainy city is Seattle's overcast and constant drizzles.
  • The North Pacific Coast still has large areas that are considered remote.
  • Outside Seattle and around the North Pacific Coast, we can see lush forests, and vegetation because of the high precipitation


  • Seattle and Portland are considered two of the largest metropolitan in the region.
  • Beautiful site and scenery of mountains
  • Seattle is made up of mostly middle classed people; scattered neighborhoods.
  • Was home to Boeing Aircraft
  • Microsoft headquarters is located in Seattle
  • Seattle was rated one of the best cities to live in since 1989.
Despite being rated as one of the best cities to live in, Seattle's biggest problem is it's traffic. Due to its hilly terrain the Interstate 5 freeways squeezes itself into Seattle. This poses a big problem for future increase in population.


The year that lived in Seattle, I was able to experience being taken to school by a school bus (1st grade). It was very exciting for me until I did not know how to walk home from the bus stop. Seattle is considered to be hilly, although I do not remember which, I lived on one of the seven hills or hilly parts in Seattle. The school bus driver was kind enough to go off route to drop me off at my house. But it was a sight to see when this yellow school bus full of elementary kids was chugging its way up the steep hill to get to my house. I will never forget that day. 


Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment